Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Welcome to Misha and Parker's Hair Cutting Store

With the realization that my hair was falling out, I was not sure how I was going to react when Misha and Parker (5 and 3) started cutting my hair. Was I going to freak out, break down and lose it right there and scare the poop out of both of them? Was I going to enjoy the experience and not lose it. No one knew until that moment happened. As the time for the photographer came, I could tell I was full of emotion and very nervous. All that kept running through my head was can I and the kids handle this, it sounds like a good thing to do, but it is really? Thankfully the photographer wanted to take pictures of the kids and I before the ceremony had begun which let a lot of my anxiety go since I was loving watching them play and enjoy the photographer. The time came for the ceremony to begin. Misha had the scissors and I heard the first bit of hair being cut off. It was an interesting bit of emotion I felt, it was joyous that my children can take part in this transition for me and them, and that I was in control of my hair falling out. Never did I think I would be so excited to shave my head, nor did I ever expect to be OK walking around in public with a shaved head. As a week has gone by after the hair cutting ceremony I feel as comfortable with myself as if I had my full head of hair. I was asked why did I get a photographer to take pictures, well I felt this was a major stepping stone in the chapter of chemo. I wanted to remember this ceremony we did and embrace the changes I have gone through. I believe it made it easier to have a ceremony to do this with my kids. Thank you Mark Sweeney. Please check out the pictures at www.marksweeney.net

1 comment:

  1. Oh Desi... man, I can't make it through one of these posts without crying... for sadness, or for joy, it's all a mix. You remain a wonder to me. here i am dealing with my own health issues, which can't even compare to your struggles. I cry, and complain, and have a hard time finding joy in life. You are a lighthouse! Your children are so beautiful. They are so lucky to have you. I checked out Marks pics, they are so precious. Any, i think that the shaved look works great for you. keep it!!! (hey, you'll save on shampoo!) I have considered also cutting my hair for locks of love in your name, though i don't think it is long enough yet... when it gets there though, it is going!! my dear friend, remain positive, stay strong, and enjoy every moment you can!

    ReplyDelete